Holy Trinity – Waterhead. Phase 1
Client:The PCC of Holy Trinity, Waterhead
Architect:Buttress Fuller Alsop Williams
Contract Period:27 weeks
Contract Sum:£ 240000
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1847 at a cost of £3600 to cater for the growing population and urban spread of Oldham. Built in an Early English style from coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings, the building was designed to accommodate 800 people. Originally consisting of a long six bay nave, north and south lean-to aisles and a chancel, a two stage west tower and spire were both added in 1876. English heritage have designated the building Grade II listed.
Lambert Walker were appointed by architects Buttress Fuller Alsop Williams to undertake a programme of repair and conservation. Internally, the church was provided with scaffolding to allow for redecoration involving new timber lathes to be applied with a lime plaster and finished with a micro porous paint.
Externally, there were extensive reroofing works to the nave, aisles, chancel and vestry. These included the removal and replacement of stone copings, repairs to the supporting timber roof structure and the removal of bitumen valley gutters. New stainless steel valley gutters were fitted, roofs were reslated and new rainwater goods were fitted.