Holy Trinity – Waterhead. Phase 2
Client:Holy Trinity, Waterhead PCC
Contract Period:27 weeks
Contract Sum:£ 152,000
The parish church of Holy Trinity, Waterhead was consecrated in 1847 to cater for the growing population and urban spread of Oldham. Designed by E.H. Sheppard in the Early English style and built from coursed squared ashlars, the building has a long six bay nave, north and south lean-to aisles, a chancel and a gabled porch on the south elevation. A two stage west tower and spire were both added in 1876 and English heritage have designated the building Grade II listed.
Lambert Walker were appointed by Buttress Ltd to undertake a programme of restoration and conservation works to the nave, chancel, south aisle and south porch. These included joinery repairs, reroofing, lead works, repointing, groundworks and internal redecorations.
Roof slates were stripped and the exposed timber roof structure underwent joinery repairs as required. New valley and secret gutters were formed and roofs were fitted with new insulation and treated softwood battens before being reslated with the renewal of all of the decorative crested ridge tiles. Masonry copings were rebedded and the east gable and all of the nave clerestory was raked out and repointed with a traditional lime mortar.
Internally, ceiling plaster repairs were undertaken with new split laths fixed where required and new plaster painted to match the existing colour scheme. An area of wall plaster affected by damp on the west wall of the south aisle was similarly removed, replastered and decorated. Groundworks were limited to improving access with the construction of a ramped and stepped approach to the south porch.