Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden
Client:Grappenhall and Thelwall Parish Council
Architect:Lloyd Evans Prichard Ltd
Contract Period:37 weeks
Contract Sum:£ £1,059,000
The Grappenhall Heys Estate was founded by Thomas Parr, who purchased land over a number of years and by 1830 constructed a new house with formal gardens, parkland and a walled garden. This garden contained a kitchen garden to provide fruit, vegetables and flowers with a range of greenhouses built along the sunniest internal elevation to provide more exotic varieties.
During the 20th century, the house passed through several phases of ownership, before falling into a state of disrepair and eventually being demolished. The walled garden survived as it was gifted to a former employee and many historic features were retained.
Now in public ownership, Lambert Walker were appointed by architects Lloyd Evans Prichard to undertake a programme of regeneration of Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden. This included the renovation of the derelict glasshouses and against the outer face of the boundary wall brick built lean-to rooms were restored to provide a range of new facilities with associated car parking and access works.
Within the walled garden, the glasshouses were the principal feature and some were restored to be working glasshouses for plant propagation and display, while other areas will be used for practical work and demonstrations. New uses for the restored buildings also include a multi purpose community space, exhibition space and meeting rooms/classrooms with improved toilet facilities, office and storage spaces. A new well equipped kitchen was installed enabling improved cafe facilities to be provided with seating and tables overlooking the kitchen garden.
For more information on Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden visit