Client:Bolton School Estates Department
Architect:Lloyd Evans Prichard
Contract Period:24 weeks
Contract Sum:£ 239,000
Bolton School is one of the oldest schools in Lancashire and is recorded in 1516 as the Bolton Grammar School for Boys. The Girls School was established in 1877 and both schools were united on the site Chorley New Road site in 1924. Construction took the form of two wings for separate Boys and Girls Divisions either side of a centre quadrangle. The main buildings were completed in 1965 and the eastern block of the Boys Division is now in need of remedial works.
Lambert Walker were appointed by architects Lloyd Evans Prichard to carry out masonry and roof repairs. These involved the dismantling of weathered stone parapet walls, the stripping of the slate roofs and the removal of asphalt lined concrete trough gutters.
The gutters were reconstructed in timber before being lined and weatherproofed with lead. The roofs were then be reslated and the parapet walls rebuilt by Lambert Walker stone masons with an inner brick face and an outer face of mottled red coloured sandstone topped by dressed copings to match the existing building fabric. The restored parapet walls continue the original bonding style by having the same fine joint widths and all cramps, dowels and ties used in the reconstruction were of stainless steel. The masonry was rebuilt and repointed with a mortar mix of sand and traditional natural hydraulic lime.