Blackburn Cathedral Song School
Client:The Canon of Blackburn Cathedral
Contract Period:12 weeks
Contract Sum:£ 172000
The church of St Mary the Virgin was built in 1826 and with the creation of the Diocese of Blackburn in 1926, the church became Blackburn Cathedral. This building now forms the cathedral’s nave as between 1938 and 1977 it was extended and enlarged, with a distinctive lantern tower and aluminium spire added in 1967. The north transept contains eight ornately carved 15th century misericords, believed to have come from Whalley Abbey.
Lambert Walker were appointed by architects Purcell to undertake a scheme of refurbishment in the crypt of the cathedral. This space is used by Blackburn Cathedral Song School and is located beneath the north transept of the building. The works were designed to increase the area of accommodation and improve the environment for the people using the Song School within two rooms and the corridor leading from the main area of the crypt.
Existing doors, fixtures, fittings and electrics were all removed and a steel frame was erected in the Music Room to create a new mezzanine floor that now houses a music library. Below this was installed a new suite of toilet and changing facilities. Rooms were also refurbished and redecorated with new floor and ceiling finishes and new fitted and free standing shelving units and fitted robing cupboards. New doors were also installed with acoustic glazing between the Music Room and the main Song School Room.