St Johns Church, Dukinfield
Client:The PCC of St John's Church, Dukinfields
Architect:The Intelligent Design Centre
Contract Period:17 weeks
Contract Sum:£ £131,000
St John’s Church stands in an elevated position at the top of a small hill above Oxford Road in Dukinfield. It is was designed by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe and was built between 1838–40. It is a Grade II listed stone built structure with a five-bay nave, north and south aisles, a short single-bay chancel, slate roofs and a tower at the west end. The tower is in four stages, it has a west door, and at the top is a coped parapet with decorative pinnacles.
Lambert Walker Limited has been appointed to undertake a programme of remedial works to the church tower and roof. This will involve the complete renewal of the tower roof, with new steel beams, timber joists and covered with new leadwork, including sunken gutters and rainwater sumps. Lead flashings will also be renewed. Lambert Walker stonemasons will reconstruct a damaged stone finial and all four tower corner pinnacles will be restrained at two points by new steel rods secured at the centre of the tower. A stone chimney will also be dismantled, corroded fixing cramps will be removed and the chimney reassembled using new stainless steel dowels fixed with resin.
As part of these works insulation will be introduced between the nave ceiling and the roof and at the eaves where along both north and south sides of the nave roof the parapet gutters will be renewed. The sloping secret roof gutters will also be renewed and any necessary repairs made to the supporting timber roof structure. Internally, defective plasterwork caused by the ingress of rainwater will be removed and reinstated. Externally, the rainwater disposal system will be overhauled with new cast iron down pipes and hoppers and bird/leaf protections will be installed to ensure they continue to run clear.