St John the Evangelist, Hopwood, Heywood
Client:The PCC of St John's Church, Heywood
Architect:Bradshaw Gass & Hope LLP
Contract Period:16 weeks
Contract Sum:£ £104,000
In 1903 the foundation stone was laid for the present church building, which was constructed by builders Messrs Blakeley and Wild of Gregge Street Hopwood at a cost of £3961. This replaced an earlier iron clad structure built in 1881 to service the growing population that worked in the textile mills and industry that had developed along the Rochdale Canal.
Lambert Walker Limited were appointed by Bradshaw, Gass & Hope LLP to undertake a programme of repair works to the west end of the building.
Internal and external scaffolding was erected to the west gable wall. Externally this allowed for masonry repairs and full repointing of the wall and church tower using a traditional lime mortar. The stained and leaded glass of the large tracery window was also refurbished. This involved the removal of the glass to an offsite workshop for restoration. Smaller windows below the main tracery window, in the north and south chancels and in the tower were also similarly restored.
Roof repairs included the stripping of tiles at the west end of the roof enabling any necessary repairs to the timber roof structure. This allowed for the formation of a new lead lined secret gutter and lead flashings. Slates were then reinstated to retain the original coursing and replacement crested ornamental ridge tiles laid. Internal works included the removal of existing failed plaster, replastering using new hair reinforced lime plaster and redecoration using vapour permeable mineral paints.