St James Church, East Crompton
Client:The PCC of St James Church, East Crompton
Architect:Christopher J Langstone
Contract Period:20 weeks
Contract Sum:£ £135,000
The church of St James, East Crompton was established in 1847. The building is stone built, with a nave, chancel, north and south aisles and a three stage tower with spire at the southwest corner. The roofs are slate clad, but previous stainless steel flashings are in need of attention.
Located in the Shaw district of Oldham. The area grew during the 19th century to be a major centre of cotton spinning and textile manufacture, in its heyday there were more than 48 mills.
Lambert Walker Limited were appointed to undertake a programme of works largely to the interior of the building. This has involved the addition of insulation and boarding out of ceilings in the nave, aisles and chancel to reduce and prevent draughts. These boards were fixed between rafters in a diagonal pattern to match the original design. These were then painted and taking advantage of the extensive scaffold required, plaster at the east end of the north aisle could be repaired. Defective plaster was cut back to sound material. The area was then replastered with a traditional lime plaster and redecorated. Lighting cables were also renewed and the high level access meant further redecoration of other walls could be carried out. During these works care and consideration was paramount as the church remained in use throughout.
Externally, unsuitable stainless steel roof flashings were removed and replaced with lead to ensure the church remained watertight and draught proof. A chimney stack was also recapped with a new and larger stone slab for better ventilation, weather protection and improved rainwater runoff.